Apr 6, 2010

It takes a foreigner . . . sometimes . . .

"I visited their manufactories, their commercial markets and emporiums of trade; I entered their judicial courts and legislative halls; but I sought everywhere in vain until I entered the Church. It was there as I listened to the soul-elevating principles of the Gospel of Christ, as they fell from Sabbath to Sabbath upon the masses of the people, that I learned why America was great and free and why France was a slave . . . America is great because America is good. When America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." ~Alexis de Tocqueville
We read something in history today that I thought was very interesting. In "America, Land That I Love", the American History book we are studying from A Beka Books, stated this, "The First Great Awakening had sustained our nation through the Revolutionary War, but, as often happens, spiritual concern declined during the peace and prosperity that followed the war."
Hmm . . . interesting . . . that sort of fits with Monsieur de Tocqueville's quote . . . I wonder if he could say that if he entered our churchs today?

No comments: