Mar 25, 2013

Blog Hop: Writing


Oh, so  many thanks to Christa Upton for tagging me in the blog hop! Please! Go visit her blog! It's so wonderful to know of a writer close to me! Really looking forward to meeting you soon! I don't know how interesting this story is, but here she comes:
1What is the working title of your book?  Like God n' Me: Chance Virtue and the Days of Reney Meyer. Still a work in progress.  
2. Where did the idea come from?  I was watching a movie with Charles Bronson set during the Depression and this whole story about a little girl becoming infatuated with a bare-knuckle fist fighter sort of popped into my head. 
3. What genre does your book fall under?  Hm. I am not exactly sure. Young Adult to Adult? 
4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? 
Oh my! Hm . . . can they be dead? And too old? But just right for a movie way back when?
Reney Meyer - I really have not pictured anyone for Reney. She is all her own person. But I imagine her with short, either black or dark brown hair, and brown or green eyes. 
Chance Virtue - Charles Bronson, or someone who looks like Charles Bronson. 
Jesse Meyer - Robert Crawford Jr.   
I really love the actors and actresses from long ago, some of my inspiration stems from such times as they lived.
5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? Reney Meyer becomes infatuated with a bare-knuckle fist fighter during the Depression. (I'm really not terribly good at summing up stories so neatly!)
6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? I hope it will be represented by an agency someday, but who knows what the Lord will bring!
7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?   It is still not finished due to lack of time this spring! But I have been working on it for two years, I think. It's been shoved aside for many reasons, not knowing what story to tell with it and making room for other things are some of them. 
8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?  Hmm. The Journey of Natty Gann? Though, I have not read the book, just watched the movie. The Last Sin Eater, by Francine Rivers, because our main characters share some things in common. No Promises in the Wind, because it's set during the Depression, too, and there are some similarities.
 9. Give a poignant or profound quote from the story. Well, I don't know if this is profound, but Reney is wishing a real mean Railroad policeman was dead and her older brother says to her, "Pap told me once that when you kill somebody, you lose something inside you. Something real important. And you’re never the same again . . . God said wishing them dead and hating them is just the same as killing them. You wouldn't wish yourself dead, or wish you’d done the killing. So let’s not wish death at all."
 10. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? Well, I'm not sure if they're interesting, but they interest me! There are hobos aplenty and police chases. A black boy named Boyd. It's chocked full of things from the hobo life and a feisty little girl named Reney. Trains and narrow escapes from railroad bulls, and gruff old men at hobo camps who really are some of the kindest men you'll meet. 
Here are the other Christian writer's I know! Pass on, and have loads of fun!
Kelsey 
Krystina 
Here are the instructions:
1. You write a blog answering the ten questions and post it during the week of March 25. Include links to the blogs of the writer(s) you invite (up to five writers). You also credit me as your host and include a link to the blog article I posted.
2. The writer(s) you invite answer the questions; each one puts that blog up the week after yours goes up. Each one credits you as their host and includes a link to your blog.
3. They, in turn, tag other writers, and the cycle continues
Thanks again, Mrs. Upton! This was so much fun! I am looking forward to meeting with you sometime!

1 comment:

Christa Upton said...

K., thanks so much for participating!!
I loved hearing about your book, and I love books set in the early part of the 20th century! DEFINITELY interested in the hobos (etc.)--can't wait to "meet" them! God bless you, and I am looking forward to meeting you, too!!