Jul 6, 2016

Books I'm Reading This Summer

It's strange how when you have lots of time to read you don't read and when you don't have lots of time to read all you want to do is read, and your to-read list grows by leaps and bounds. But I think I've narrowed the summer reading list down to these eight.

Sorry I haven't been around much. I have been greatly enjoying my new job, my boss and co-workers. My computer is kaput at the moment and that's been putting a hold on a lot of my plans. But I hope to get some posts up in the near future.

Happy summer reading, in the mean time!

1. Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo
I've seen this book around and it sounded quite interesting, mostly because the plot sounded a bit like a fantasy I wrote a few years ago. But this one sounded more clever and epic. Then my little brother brought it home from a book store and so it has a home here where I can enjoy it at leisure.

Do you like lovable thugs and thieves? Me, too. That's why I'm reading this. So you should, too.

2. 7 Women - Eric Metaxas
This book had me at the introduction. "When I consider the seven women I chose, I see that most of them were great for reasons that derive precisely from their being women, not in spite of it; and what made them great has nothing to do with their being measured against or competing with men. In other words, their accomplishments are not gender-neutral but are rooted in their singularity as women. All of them existed and thrived as women . . ." Eric Metaxas, Seven Women: And Their Secret to Greatness

3. Emily of New Moon -  L.M. Montgomery
I will admit I bought this entire series at a second hand book store not only because I love L.M.M. but because of Perry Miller. I am not ashamed. After an agonizing watch of a few episodes of the TV series the only reason I continued watching was just to be delighted by Perry Miller. And so I will read the books for, mostly, the same reason.


4. The Highly Sensitive Person - Dr. Elaine Aron
If you like MBTI and personality typing, you should read this book, too.
Are you an HSP? Take the test to find out.


5. Jack and Jill - Louisa May Alcott
I love the simple, delightful innocence of Lousia May Alcott's story-children. The simple, delightful, peaceful innocence of her story-worlds. And I will always love going back in time to the days when children were really children.


6. Anne of Windy Poplars - L.M. Montgomery
I've gotten back on my Anne kick. I just finished Anne of the Island, and now I cannot wait to see Anne and Gilbert's relationship grow. I love discovering all the scenes in the books that were not in the movies and I shall forever bemoan Phillipa Gordon being cut from the films altogether. WHY? I hope there is more of her in Anne of Windy Poplars.


7. Cold Sassy Tree - Olive Ann Burns
I've been looking for a new author to get into and Olive Ann Burns seems like just the one I've been looking for. Southern, grounded. Gritty and real, can't wait to dig my fingers into this book.


8. To Have and to Hold - Mary Johnston
My sister read an excerpt of this novel and had to get the book. A runaway ward of the king who becomes the bride of a gentleman in the American colonies. It was a bestseller in America in 1900 and I cannot believe I have never heard of it till now. The gentleman, I hear, is quite the chivalrous man, and just a bit refreshing.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Looks like a great list! You have inspired me!

Love you,

Mama