Feb 27, 2010

Writer's Quiz . . . :)

Do you have a pen/pencil collection? How many of those are chewed?
Well, I like certain types of pens, and you could say I have a wide collection of chewed up pens. They don't leave a bad taste in your mouth. But I do chew the end of pens. Chewing something helps get your brain going! I like to chew gum if I'm writing. :)

Do you prefer handwriting or typing?
I like them both, but for me it sometimes depends on how my story was inspired. Other times, the computers are being used, so I go to my desk and write in a notebook. My NaNo novel was written in three different notebooks and typed up at the end of each day.

How often do you get inspiration?
Often! Everyday! But mostly at night . . . like Nina. :)

Do you get inspiration more in the early morning or late at night?
Late at night, when there is no one else up, but me.

Do certain movies/books/music inspire you?
Yes, they do! Lately, though, instrumental music has been really inspiring! The Mirror Maker was written on the Little Women soundtrack!

How do you incorporate God into your stories?
Well . . . I like to use symbolism sometimes. I'd like all the stories I write to be centered around the Lord Jesus and what He did for us. So everything my characters do, the whole outcome of the story, from beginning to end, no matter what, must reflect God in some way. Whether I make that evident or not, I don't know yet. :)

Do you kill off your villains or make them repent?
I kill them. But in a stranger circumstance, I'm going to let one live.

Are the majority of your characters magical beings, humans, halflings, or something else?
Humans. I would like to go deeper and write animals.

What genre of writing are you most comfortable in? If you were to step out of your comfort zone, what would you write?
Historical, probably. Sometimes I, though, I like stories that aren't particularly about anything, that are just stories about people and their lives.

Do you work better alone or with someone else?
I haven't had much experience working with someone else, but I think I like working by myself.

Are your characters mostly Renegades, Peacekeepers or a mish-mash?
Spine-less peacekeepers with a terrible secret or an unmentionable past. But mostly mish-mash. :)

Are you a sucker for good grammar?
No, not really. I like to see good grammar, though, when I know what it is.

How is your handwriting?
Big and . . . roundish, if I'm printing.

How evil are your villains?
Terribly evil. Ruthless. Will kill for money. :) Well, not really. I've done only a few villains. They've been mean, but I wanted to make them seem defeat-able. (I like what Nina, http://www.frontnotes.blogspot.com/, said about her villains.)

Are you long-winded or succinct?
I wish I could be succinct! :P Does that count?

Do you have typical writer traits such as ink stains on your fingers or a pencil behind your ear?
I have dark circles beneath my eyes, I'm reckless with a pen, so sometimes I get ink on my fingers.

Would someone walking past you on the street consider you normal?
Depends. If I wore glasses, had a huge bag over my shoulder and books underneath each arm, they might not. But I don't go out in public often.

Do you write mostly poetry, stories, novels or a mixture?
Stories. I've only completed one novel, which probably won't be considered a novel when I'm through.

Do your characters vary in accents, appearance and attitude or are they mostly the same?
Sometimes I can spot similarities between some of my characters in personality, it tends to be a bit like me, which I don't want, and their pasts are obviously similar in some cases. But I like them to be as less like me as possible. :) I like variety, so I want to make each one different with something special about them.

Do real people and/or places inspire your writing?
Yes!

What is your favorite character? Or do you choose to remain unbiased in case of a revolt?
Oh . . . I like them all. Matha and Lessi are probably the favorites. Inez could be next.

Do you talk to your characters? Do they talk back?
Not literally. :)

Are you more comfortable with female or male main characters?
I like writing them both, male characters seem a lot less complicated creatures, though. :)

Do you follow basic plot lines with new twists thrown in or do you depart from the norm all the time?
I like being original. I like being different. Whether I am or not is questionable. :)

Do you feel God has called you to be a writer/poet? Will you grasp the power of the pen?
Yes, I do. It's something I can do while also fulfilling my other dreams. :) I'm reaching for the power of the pen, I'm not sure if I have it fully yet . . .

2 comments:

Kate said...

Awesome quiz!

There's something for you over on my blog. Joseph got it, too. Tell him?

Nina Hansen said...

This is great, Kayla! I had so much fun reading it. ;) You go, girl!